For 2024, The Gweebarra is a Catch and Release fishery up to and including the 11th May, and is an Open Fishery from the 12th May to the end of the season. This means anglers must must fish Catch and Release for all salmon and sea trout over 40cm with single or double barbless hooks only and no bait or worm fishing is allowed.
If illegal fishing is observed, notify IFI at Ballyshannon (071) 9851435. 24 hour line Tel: 0818 347424
Fishery Rules – Gweebarra River
- All anglers must be in possession of a permit, licence, logbook & tags before entering onto the fishery.
- Fishery Opening times: 7am to Dusk.
- Fish only on the beat allocated on permit.
- All legal methods allowed except with natural shrimp or prawn baits.
- Fish one rod only at a time.
- Directions of Fishery Manager to be observed at all times.
- Commence fishing on river at the top of the pool and fish down from there.
- Do not commence fishing in front (downstream) of an angler already fishing down a pool.
- Allow a reasonable distance between you and the angler ahead of you.
- Fish at a reasonable pace to allow access for following anglers (1 cast – 1 step).