Anglers must carry a .pdf or printed version of their permit while fishing.
Salmon, Grilse, Sea Trout, Brown Trout.
For 2023 the Lackagh Fishery is ‘Closed’ for salmon (& sea trout over 40cm) fishing up to the 11th May &‘Catch & Release’ from 12th May to the end of the season. This means all salmon and any sea trout of 40cm or over must be released. Fishing is with single or double barbless hooks only and no worm or bait fishing is allowed.
Season on Lackagh & Owencarrow Rivers: 1st January to 30th September.
Season on Lough Beagh: 15th July to 30th September.
Access requirements: Government angling licence (includes log book and tags) + fishery permit.
The Lackagh fishery has received good investment over recent years, resulting in improved access for visiting anglers. Further development work is planned over the next few years with the main focus on habitat conservation. The Lackagh is a short river of only 2 miles flowing from Glen Lough to Sheephaven Bay, which is noted for its good runs of spring salmon, grilse and sea trout. The spring run starts in February and continues to July or later. Grilse start to run at the end of June and continue all through July whilst a small run of autumn salmon appears in September. Sea trout are at their best from June. Visitors may fish the left bank alongside local club members under local rules and angling etiquette.
Terms and Conditions specific to this Fishery:
1. The Lackagh is ‘Catch & Release’ for 2022 which means all salmon and any sea trout of 40cm or over must be released. Fishing is with single or double barbless hooks only and no worm or bait fishing is allowed.
2. There is a bag limit of 3 sea trout per day (under 40cm) in line with the national sea trout regulations.
3. If illegal fishing is observed, notify IFI at Ballyshannon (071) 9851435. 24 hour line Tel: 0818 347424.
1. All anglers must be in possession of a permit, licence, logbook & tags (when open for harvesting) before entering onto the fishery.
2. Fishery Opening times: 7am to 6pm & 7pm to 2am.
3. Fly Fishing only from Glen Lough to 15 metres below the Eel Weir.
4. Fish one rod only at a time.
5. Directions of Fishery Manager to be observed at all times.
6. Commence fishing on river at the top of the pool and fish down from there
7. Do not commence fishing in front (downstream) of an angler already fishing down a pool.
8. Allow a reasonable distance between you and the angler ahead of you.
9. Fish at a reasonable pace to allow access for following anglers (1 cast – 1 step).
10. If illegal fishing is observed, notify IFI at Ballyshannon (071) 9851435. 24 hour line Tel: 0818 347424.